Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Blog Inspiration Synchronicity

The subtitle of this post should be: "A.K.A. awkward title" or "Take out the middle initial and you're left with BS". But I digress.

So over at IPB we were talking about 'old-fashioned phrases'. I mentioned that I had said "the proof is in the pudding" and the person I was speaking to (late 20's I think) said xe had never heard that expression.

Later that same day... (screen goes wavy), I was reading a book (coincidentally it was about blogging) and the author (Mason) was talking about "phrases you wish would come back into fashion".

So here goes...

"I don't give a tinker's damn." (Have to admit, that's new to me. Did tinker's have dams and someone got confused? Were they really crappy, leaky dams?)

"Here's mud in your eye." (Did that used to be the equivalent of the F word?? Once upon a time it was 'Mud in your eye!' and now it's 'Fuck off'?)

"He's a tall, cool drink of water." (Yeah, but the more pressing question is, who is the straw that stirs the drink?!?! Am I right?!)

"I like the cut of his jib." (Sailing is soooo kinky!)

"I'll fix your little red wagon." (Apparently wagon fixing is right up there with sailing, who knew).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I like the cut of his jib."

I use that one all the time! People seem to follow me when I say it though. Maybe it's not completely obscure.

I think old insults are primed for a comeback too! I'm going to start calling people scoundrels and ratscallions.

Schnookie said...

The tall, cool drink of water is one I use a lot! I'm a fuddy-dud! Woo hoo!

andrew said "I like the cut of his jib" about someone a few weeks ago on IPB and I was all, "ohhhh... I like that." It's a great phrase. I think I'll endeavor to say it so often people start to think I'm overusing it!

(Oh and I'm all over seeing more "scoundrel" and "rapscallion"!)

Schnookie said...

Wow! Could I have used more exclamation points in that comment?! I'm CRAZY for exclamation points!

Earl Sleek said...

"I don't give a tinker's damn."

Wow. That's getting in the old arsenal. I bet 'tinker' is short for 'thinker' and in olden times they never gave a damn about anything!

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of "Heavens to Murgatroyd!"

Anonymous said...

Oh, and "Great Ceasar's ghost!"