Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Grocery Store Gaffe

I walk into my local grocery store. I see a couple of friends. I wave hello.
(You're waiting for it right? Rubbing your hands together in anticipation, waiting for the 'gaffe' part. Will she trip and fall? Is there toilet paper stuck to her shoe? What will it be???)

Well let me start with a little background. The people I'm waving to - one is an ex-boyfriend (from way back, don't get excited) and the other is his girlfriend. Fiancee now actually. So the last time I saw them, it was afternoon and I was still in my housecoat (don't ask). I'm assuming what follows comes out of that interaction...

The Dude: "Wow! It's amazing to see you with clothes on! I'm not used to this! And so *early* in the day, too!" (This is all said in a booming voice that I'm sure at least a quarter of the store can hear.)

Now at first I'm just sort of, ha ha, yeah, until more of what he's saying sinks in and I realize how it must sound to others. I notice a couple clerks and customers start to give us strange looks. I begin to imagine what stories they're mentally composing to explain why this man is telling this woman how strange it is to see her with clothes on. I then make eye contact with the fiancee. With a bemused look, I say, "that really didn't sound very good, did it?" (not that it was a question, more like, duh, of course not). She most certainly agreed. He, meanwhile, is still talking, seemingly oblivious to what he's saying, or rather the effect that it's creating.

Ah, good times. Who knew the grocery store could be so much fun.

1 comment:

Moist Rub said...

So, when the gaffe happen? Did a can of peas fall on somebody's head after that?

That is a beautiful housecoat, Mrs. Lubner.