Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Culture....Only in Yogurt?

So I've been reading this book (Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs... A Low Culture Manifesto by Chuck Klosterman) and it may inspire several blog entries. This being the first. And if I don't do others, the last too. Which would make it the only. But anyway...

So I'm reading one particular chapter and I come across this...
"The most wretched people in the world are those who tell you...."
(wait for it...)
"...they like every kind of music 'except country'."

When I read this I think I actually may have blushed. Or something. I think I also looked around furtively to see if anyone knew "my secret". Which would be that I have said a variation of the above on occasion. It was sure a shock to think that *I* could be among the most wretched people in the world. I mean, I'm not always the nicest, but I think that's ok. Anyway, CK goes on to say that "People who say that are boorish and pretentious at the same time."
Damn, and just the other night I was saying I didn't like pretentious guys (people). Now I have to face that label possibly sticking to me along with boorish. Ouch. (He goes on to say that of course this only applies to "new" not "old" country music).

You know, this was all a lot better in my head. I think I even had a point. Oh well. Somebody else take over...

4 comments:

Schnookie said...

Would it be boorish and pretentious for me to say here that I like every kind of writer *except* Chuck Klosterman? :P

(Just kidding. I have no beef with him. And I don't much care for country music...)

GB said...

Nice one Schnookie!

Anonymous said...

What if I like every kind of music except rap? And dirges?

GB said...

Not liking dirges...well...come on...