Thursday, August 23, 2007

One Ring, One Cup (One Bourbon, One Scotch & One Beer)

I'm listening to sports radio today and I hear this rather interesting story about a Stanley Cup ring found in the waters of Mexico.
Here's a link to a print version of the story... http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/TopStories/ContentPosting.aspx?feedname=CTV-TOPSTORIES_V2&showbyline=True&newsitemid=CTVNews%2F20070823%2FStanley_Cup_Ring_070823

So they find a ring from the last time the Leafs won a Cup (1967). This reminds me of "Fifty Mission Cap" by The Tragically Hip (hockey & The Hip, does it get anymore Canadian than that...) which describes the story of Bill Barilko. (Basically, he scored an OT goal that won the Leafs the Cup - then he died - his body was recovered 11 years later which was the next time the Leafs won a Cup.)

Now, like a lot of hockey fans, I enjoy a good ribbing of the Leafs. And if you'd asked me earlier today whether they'd win a Cup anytime soon I would have laughed (no offense). But now...spooky...finding that ring is a sign! This is the year!

2 comments:

Moist Rub said...

Mats Sundin helped me win my fantasy hockey pool one year. I hope that provides you some consolation.

Oh, and that reminds me: May Bill Wirtz rot in hell.

GB said...

I won my fantasy hockey pool this year. Sans Matt Sundin. Not sure about consolation - I don't want the Leafs to win the Cup.

In Canada at least, Bill Wirtz gets craploads of bad press - just yesterday on sports radio they were bashing him. Hope that's some consolation.